I made myself a huge celebration #dinner! But the meatloaf won’t stay together. I think because I mixed a squash into the meat… But, delicious nonetheless!
- Phone call with U Minnesota’s Jo Lee! Phenomenal!
- Paid off full balance of Discover CC!
- Pancake breakfast hosted by Brenna & Alex
- Monuments Men
- Mailed valentines and packages
- filed taxes
- work all week
- productive routines
- Rejection notice from University of Michigan :(
- Lunch with Sandra
- Gym 2x, Yoga video 1x
- Valentine’s book exchange with Le Tony!
- Reading List: Mona in the Promised Land by Gish Jen, The Promised Land by Mary Antin, Imagining the Nation by David Li
- Valentine’s dinner with Kathleen & Brenna at Kona Bistro
- Birthday dinner for Akï at Steak n Shake
- File FAFSA
- Phone call with Brittney
Correspondence from my smartest #Kenyon friends always brightens my day! #postcard #malaysia
Le Tony & I agreed to only exchange books & cards for #Valentine’s day this year. Because #books = #love. ❤️
My first Princess movie! Oxford is cute. I’ll miss that when I move to a real city. (at Princess Theatres)
- 2nd & 3rd Literature candidate lunches and job talks
- scheduled visit at OSU for Feb. 26 & 27
- MEGAA proposal brainstorm with Brenna & Kathleen
- Uptown dinner
- falling behind on the work
- Dropped WGS 602
- Onslaught of graduate student apathy
- Another snow storm
- Gym 2x, snow shoveling 1x
- Reading List: Living for Change by Grace Lee Boggs, Meatless Days by Sara Suleri
- Getting caught up
- Valentine’s day card & book shopping
It’s been a particularly difficult week and so my blog has been on the back burner as a result. With the first week of school busy-ness that is new classes beginning of semester errands, and committee meetings after a six week break; dangerously cold weather and class cancellations; new bus schedules/routes to learn; and some personal and unexpected issues/distractions, I am just glad to have made it through the week in one piece.
This weekend I have to get caught up on a lot of things I didn’t have the concentration capacity to do on Thursday/Friday, participate in the Friday events for our literature hire search at Miami, have a meeting to plan/write a conference panel proposal (it’s local and the stakes are low, but still), and I look forward to a Super Bowl party on Sunday evening.
Let me assure you, I am fine, friends. I can’t go into details on the Internet about this week’s happenings for confidentiality reasons—And because you probably don’t need to know, anyway! But things are getting back in order and I am feeling optimistic about the week ahead.
Made a super foods salad for my super long Tuesdays of teaching, seminars, & committee meetings:
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 apple
- pecans/nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs red vine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Cook you quinoa and let cool ~10 minutes. While it is still warm, dress the quinoa with the combination of oil, vinegar, and mustard. Mix well. Let sit 30 minutes. Add your celery and apple. Let the salad stand in the refrigerator over night, after the dressing has had time to settle in. Add the nuts just before serving so that they remain crunchy.
Via my BFF Vivian. She knows how I travel.
For my next visit to BR/NOLA
- From the Ph.D. app newsroom: (high) wait list at Minnesota, accepted at OSU! Options.
- Last day in BRLA: Cupcake Couture + Tiger Mania + Dinner at Bistro Byronz!
- Travel Woes in Tampa & Dayton + night at the Airport Inn + Domino’s Pizza on a King size bed
- Finally, home to Oxford
- Relaxing, working, detoxing all week
- Hosted dinner party with lentil soup, Kathleen’s sesame ginger salad, fresh baked bread, strawberry rhubarb pie! Attended by Brenna, Michael, and Akï + taught them Monopoly Deal and they loved it!
- Visit from my sister!
- Upgrade to a Kindle Fire!
- Culinary adventure: Tofu adobo
- Reading List: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Native Speaker, The Education of Henry Adams, Drifting Flower & Other Poems, and “Mrs. Spring Fragrance” + five theory chapters/articles!
- Gym 2x
- Final details on Spring semester prep
- Gym 2x
- Choose outfits
- More Monopoly Deal
- Banana, Pecan, Chocolate Chip Muffins
Trying out a vegetarian spin on Filipino adobo using tofu!
This is another post-haircut #selfie. Because your hair looks different the second hour after the haircut.