- Last day in LA: Bobby’s graduation at USC, Pasadena adventures with Vivian
- Home to Ohio!
- Summer school: Lit theory seminar on the public intellectual & Español
- Fancy salmon dinner with le Tony
- First James Bond movie ever: You Only Live Twice (1967)
- Advising meeting with Anita: big book list? thesis?
- Findlay Market & Iris Book Café
- Eichmann in Jerusalem
We also need the leadership of our first lady, a fashion icon and a consumer of clothes from H&M, which produces in Bangladesh. She must help change the culture of fashion in the United States. The price of a chain-store frock has gone lower and lower in recent decades, and Americans have used this as an excuse to stockpile our closets with gobs of disposable trends. An unhealthy reliance on imports suppresses wages in the United States and costs us jobs. Even though cheap imported consumer goods contribute directly to our economic woes, Americans celebrate bargain fashion. And we love it when Michelle Obama wears H&M and shops at Target.
It be would be amazing to hear Michelle Obama say that fairly and affordably priced fashion should be our new goal, not simply scoring the cheapest bargain we can find. And that a clothing steal should never come at the price of life. Lastly, she and Barack should make us believe once again that when brands, garment workers, governments and consumers all work together, fashion can and will be made in safe and healthy conditions.
John Green’s (Kenyon ‘00) commencement address to Butler University class of 2013.
Taking a summer lit seminar in which we are reading Cornel West’s Race Matters. Fingers crossed that no one fights me for it during presentation sign-ups!
Related posts: Things I Learned from Dr. Cornel West (Feb. 2011)
- End of semester brunch at Morning Sun
- rainy day library grading session
- Six month anniversary date with roses and The Great Gatsby!
- Tony’s graduation celebration dinner at his parents’
- Sendoff show at Steph’s
- Mother’s Day brunch
- LA 2013: Beverly Hills, Santa Monica Ferris wheel, dinner with Vivian’s family, Long Beach exploring, Annenberg Space for Photography - War/Photography exhibit & Lyndsy Addorno lecture
- USC commencement
- Pasadena night with Vivian
- making my way back to Ohio
I went hat shopping today! I never knew hats were so expensive. I tried on some as pricy as $95! Someday I want a large hat collection, especially the wide brim floppy hats. The hat I bought is actually from a thrift store in Long Beach called The Feed Store, where it was $5. Someday i’ll be able to buy from the hat store.
i’ve been angry about this for my entire life
- dinner at Melt and poetry reading at Wordplay
- Farmer’s Market!
- College Hill Coffee Co. working
- Monday brunch, student meeting, library working
- Clifton working, lunch at the original Skyline Chili
- Finishing the seminar papers, portfolios, & students’ grades
- Thrifting trip to Fairfield & West Chester
- Arts & crafts: my record cupcake stands!
- 6 months anniversary date: The Great Gatsby!
- Coconut-lemon cupcakes!
- Tony’s graduation & parties
- LA trip!
I spent $100 #thrifting today! oops!
3 blouses, 2 shorts, 1 Capri pants, 1belt, 3 dresses, 1 skirt, 1 #Bulls t-shirt, 1 running shorts, 1 vest, & arts/craft supplies (details TBA)